I recently had some big knitting fails, and I thought I should share. They happened to be on the same day, so it took a little bit to accept my failures and move on in order to share, but I made it.
First one -
I set my mind to make a large scale chunky knit blanket. I saw a video about how to knit items on your arms. I decided to make a blanket on my arms. I realized that I would need to do this in one day, but the Internet told me it would only take an hour. Typically, I am on the slow side, so I thought an afternoon would suffice. I watched several videos on arm knitting and selected two to have ready while attempting to learn this new technique.
My first attempt was a tangled mess and I did not get past one row. I made a second attempt and spent over an hour arm-knitting away on my “blanket.”
As I watched my progress I realized that I was not really making a chunky knit blanket but rather a large alpaca fishing net.
This was not something I wanted to reach for to curl up under and stay warm. When I stood up, I realized I had dropped a stitch somewhere in the middle of the “blanket.”
I was a little excited because I had a reason to rip out my “blanket” and order the size 50 needles so I could make a chunky knit blanket.
This yarn will one day be a super chunky blanket.
Second one -
After the first fail, I decided that I should make a “quick” knit hat that I wanted to make during winter but never did – Techno Hat (it is a free pattern from Blue Sky Alpacas and I still totally want to make it). I had the yarn and needles already to go in a bag next to the couch where I typically knit. Today was the day!
I measured my head and did the math to figure out how many stitches to cast on so that the hat would fit (I have a big head) and I was off. I quickly knocked out the ribbing and moved on to the tricky new stitch – smock stitch.
I had the pattern down until I reached the end. I realized that I thought the pattern was a multiple of 4, but really it was a multiple of 8 so I had four un-smocked stitches. It is hard to see in the picture but there is a loop that encircles some of the stitches and I had one group that would not be encircled. I continued thinking this would be no big deal, but as I have learned in the past, a little issue in the beginning usually only looks worse later in the pattern – definitely not better.
I’m still excited to make this hat, but it will be a little later in the year most likely closely to next winter.
Until next time,